Project X Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Musical rope suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 am 

Mastering the rope is like mastering a musical instrument.

Wouldn't it be cool if when you roped well the game played a second or so of some cool music for you? And when you fell the music would mess up - flat notes, missed beat etc.

Most of us rope to music already. Often our taps will coincide with the beats of our favourite songs.

But wouldn't it be cool watching someone rope a song?

"Good roping" would be detected by various parameters like when you conserve your momentum after reattaching the rope, change direction quickly, whizz by land at a high speed 'near miss', etc

'Good' roping (from a warmer perspective) is always choosing the swing or attach point that is most dangerous / likely to fail, with no hesitation. If the game could detect the probability you would fail, it could reward successes. Combos etc.

There could be different music for the type of roping you're doing. Smooth, consistent roping for TTRR could be classical music, whereas it could be grinding power metal in warmer schemes.

Another related idea: have a virtual crowd that cheers when you rope well, boos or laughs when you fall, and gets more excited the more cool stuff you do? I'm thinking of the 'Amped' bar on Amped snowboarding, and of course the excellent W:A Showtime videos made by Cueshark.

I've never played Rock Band or even seen it played. Would it be possible to simply steal sounds from it? (I mean, are they the right kind of sounds for this type of thing?).

Very unfleshed idea - I don't have time to think much about it right now.

Last edited by Electro on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Musical rope suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 am 

Edit and subtle bump :mrgreen::

http://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-arma ... sic-22887/

Last edited by Electro on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm 

That is so cool idea, mate. Art of roping will get new additional sense, now in musical meaning.
There is definitely possible to do all those things. Even if you rope good and till long time, some "background" loops may be changed like in your vid. Which will be like meaning of coolness.

All we need for this is just a .wav files with all those beats and loops.
Keep in mind that if you will play this online - all who doesnt have those files - will have to load them in lobby. So size does matter in this case.
But for singleplayer - it doesnt matter.

If you give me some basic things, i could try to write couple libs for PX map editor and for scheme. With your vid#2 its much simpler, using map-based scripting.

btw to attach u2be vid, use tags [.youtube.] #id [./youtube.] (without dots)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 am 

Its also possible to control sound`s pitch effect based on things like worm`s speed. Also play special sounds when suddenly speed stop happens like in a shadow (nicely visible on vid1). And so on. PX pushes the limits far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 am 

I just noticed.. i can also mute roping sounds. I think this will make roping harder a bit, but music will be much clearer, like in a vids.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 am 

I'm really glad and surprised that you say it's possible Pyroman! And glad you think it's a good idea. This is gonna be so awesome if it ever happens. I'll dig up some cool effects/beats & loops ASAP. Unfortunately I spent my whole Christmas break being lazy, so now I have to play catch-up at school.. but I'll see what I can do. Usually these things have a way of seeming more important than school :)

PyroMan wrote:
Its also possible to control sound`s pitch effect based on things like worm`s speed. Also play special sounds when suddenly speed stop happens like in a shadow (nicely visible on vid1). And so on. PX pushes the limits far away.
I like the way you're thinking :D

Thanks for posting that 2nd video. Hadn't seen that one. Amazing vision by TOMT there... really cool stuff.

Last edited by Electro on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:58 am 

Oh, i thought you are Tomt but registered here with diffrent nickname :D
Well Tomt is musician, he makes music. He have a tons of loops and beats and other stuff.
Its better to ask him about. I`ll do that on tus