Project X Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ideas for PX golf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:17 pm 

I will write below this original post the ideas that seems to be doable (with the things people said would be possible to do) in a more ordered fashion. I will edit as people tell me "I have a better idea drum" or "good idea drum" or even "it's time to stop dreaming drum"

Original post.
Hi guys, I had that px golf idea for a while, I'm just "putting" my ideas there, and hopefully get feedback.

Objectives: Put your ball in the hole in the least shots possible.

Maps: wider than traditional golf maps, with fairway, rough, sand trap and green behaviour. That means: less powerful and/or less precise than on fairway AND stickyness of surface.
As far as my knowledge of PX brings me, this is all doable with zones, but we'd need a bit programming. Each hole has a normal shot (Par 4, etc). Long time and good care should be spent in map-making, so you dont get glitches.

Gameplay: Player drops his golf ball (or it spawns). Then he picks through a selection of golf sticks. The aiming and power of one stick is realistic: low angle and full power for a driver; high angle, low power for a sand wedge. You can aim with every stick, but aiming is seriously limitated, let's say 20 degrees.

How to shoot: it's a bit like shooting with teststuff, the power meter comes back. The difference is when you release space, the power is locked, then you press space again as near as possible to zero-power point to determine the accuracy.

The golf ball: Ok here I might be asking for impossible... It should bounce like a grenade and behave like a sliding worm when it's rolling, with slow-downs(and not change direction for a 1 pixel slope). It would be awesome if it could get speed in slopes, but it isnt absolutely necessary. Also, there must be a way for your worm to shoot it without missing, like a tele-nade behavior, but then the worm would be an obstacle for other player's ball. So I don't know, there must be a simple solution. The ball should respawn only if the player shoots in water ( simulated or real water)

It would be cool to have a shot counter, even a scoreboard. I've seen some cool shit from pxrr maps, I dont know why it wouldnt be possible. So when the ball finally reaches the hole, score is displayed or something.

That's pretty much it for now. I'm a zero in programming, but I can make cool graphics if someone is willing to spend time on this project.

Map behavior:

Terrain:
-Rough: reduced bounciness/rised stickyness
-Fairway: normal behavior
-Green: lowered stickyness, not sure if bounciness needs to be changed.
-Sand traps: Max or near max stickyness, 0 bounciness.
-Rocks?: Max bounciness
-Water: The player shoots again from where he is. If the holes are stacked, just create a zone that would mimic water consequences, the player shoots again.

Hole: (or the cup)
-Deep enough so the ball don't come back outside, or make it teleport to next tee right away
-A satisfying sound of golf ball in hole is played :) with crowd cheering accordingly to the numbers of shots compared to the normal.
-An arrow could be indicating the distance to the hole, just like the command /arrows for crates in rubberworm.

-Little issue that seems easy to solve: the ball can bounce back from the hole.
The holes (the strip that starts from tee shoot to the cup) are separated physically from each other to prevent sending ball in another area.

Sticks
-Teststuff behavior, the power goes back if you hold space too long.
-Putter has a locked aim.

Problem: how to make the shots weaker in rough/sand traps.

-Create zones that only allow one type of sticks(Driver would be the most powerful "powered bat", used only for tee shot. This right here could be a good way to make this whole concept of golf easier to create: each land type limits the sticks you can use, the sticks are the same "item" in their core, just create many with different power(and sprites :D I can handle this). When the ball stops, a message indicates in what "zone" the ball has landed, to reduce confusion. Even if it's not the real name, they could be named "Driver", "rough stick", "fairway stick", "sand wedge" and "putter"... and if the ball lands in a drum.. what would we call it? i wonder.

-Specifically for sand trap: I was thinking about taking advantage of a "glitch" that causes the ball to go inside the map a little under some circumstances.

Ball:
The main idea is to have a ball that behaves naturally. Not awkwardly bounce back because it hit a 1 pixel slope, etc. (EDIT: Getting there!!)
-Hopefully the ball borrows some of the bowling ball properties, but does not go as fast, and of course no screen shake.
-I think the bounciness of the nade is naturally the way it should behave. (EDIT): Given that it's boucing from a hard surface.
-The other players can in no way interact with your ball. (PARTLY SOLVED: at least now the ball dont interact with idle worms.)
-Possibly make it impossible for the ball to collide even with your own worm, only the map. (SOLVED: You can walk on your ball when it's sleep mode, and that's it)

Wind: I'm a bit reluctant to add it. Maybe limit the wind so it's only weak ones. (EDIT: It's not as funny without it I guess. But windfactor will be low.)

Scoring:
-Each hole has a normal (Par 3 to Par 5). Normally a Par 3 is a hole where you can reach the green in one shot.
-Find a way to reset the shot count per hole when completed for next hole, most likely when the ball reaches its goal, or when the player is on the next tee.
-In golf, the player who is the farthest gets to shoot first, but I can see how that would be a pain to do, so meh.
-The score could be displayed in a fixed area on the map, or shown in the chat.
-A mulligan item could be made buuuuuut that's kinda cheating lol, therefore absolutely not necessary.

Item graphics:
-Like friendly mines, turrets, etc. the golf ball takes the player's team color. (SOLVED)
-Please tell me it's possible to have an animation when the power is being build up, to simulate a swing.
-The tee falls off like the shotgun's red shell when the driver is used.
-A sod of grass is propelled when you shoot from fairway.
-Long weed and a sod of grass is propelled when you shoot from rough.
-An explosion of sand when you shoot from sand trap.
-The frowning worm animation is triggered when the ball falls in water :D.
-Golf hats for worms :D.

I think that covers it. ^^

Last edited by Drumstick on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ideas for PX golf
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:52 pm 

all i can say its ambitious and hard project :o
some stuff like.. freeze powerlevel and then put back on next space press - seems impossible. If only.. replace it with fake similar graphics (similar to power level) that react on spacebar with some variables.
anyway.. lot stuff to do. I think thats why there is no replies so far (:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:00 am 

All we need is a power'd bat....It would solve everything...
Obviously easier said than done but ya.....
I ran the idea by StepS and he said easy but problem with sprites = :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:24 pm 

Curtis wrote:
All we need is a power'd bat....It would solve everything...
Obviously easier said than done but ya.....
I ran the idea by StepS and he said easy but problem with sprites = :(

imo Sprites is not a problem :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 am 

(obsolete post because I edited first one)

Last edited by Drumstick on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 pm 

Sorry for double post, just bumping to make you know I updated my first post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 am 

Hey Drum......

I wish I could help you more with Golf but I think I took it as far as I could with the beta gameplay that we were fooling around with a while back...I was very optimistic about the whole thing but it really does need a wep like bat thats power'd.....I remember the ball/mine behaving/bouncing rather realistically....

Do you still have that map?
I lost it....

Last edited by Curtis on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am 

I'll look for the map later, I think i mass deleted my replays after our games though.

Forcefields could be a viable option if you could make zones with shapes with movable vertexes, i cant imagine making lots of little squares :S + i think it would give unwanted behavior at some point. Still... I'll keep that in mind because it might work.

EDIT: I'm messing with the bowling ball script, and really, it's the way to go. Got rid of the shake first, for obvious reasons. Trying now to figure how the friction / inertia / bounciness settings interact together. I must say it's really, REALLY different than nade bouncing that are just horizontal and vertical bounces. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:41 pm 

an alternative to powered bats would be to make a series of prods or bats.. 1 wood 2 wood 3 wood 4 iron 5 iron 6 iron 7 iron sand wedge pitching wedge, ect ect just with different power and angle params set in the scheme editor. you could use pyros sprite builder to make the aiming sprites. or just use sprite override on the baseball bat sprites (that will work on firing sprites too).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:33 am 

Twicken wrote:
an alternative to powered bats would be to make a series of prods or bats.. 1 wood 2 wood 3 wood 4 iron 5 iron 6 iron 7 iron sand wedge pitching wedge, ect ect just with different power and angle params set in the scheme editor. you could use pyros sprite builder to make the aiming sprites. or just use sprite override on the baseball bat sprites (that will work on firing sprites too).

I'm with bats of different powers, and it's fun ^^ . When they have a limited/fixed angle it's gonna feel like the real thing. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to make powered bats. I got some clues how to, but not the whole picture. I've been told it was easy but that scripting stuff is all new to me. A putter with fixed power? meh :P. As of now, I think 4 clubs is the minimum: Driver, Iron, (sand)wedge), putter.