Project X Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Portal Gun 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 am 

We were playing the Portal Race scheme and map and found a glitch
http://www.putlocker.com/file/66FDB1DE96963077
see at 25mins. No error message but worm falls through floor and is fucked.

Sorry about the link, board wasn't letting me put attachment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 am 

Hi DarkLord.
Thank you for the reply about glitches.
Well its know problem. Corners is the worst places to open portals at this moment. For now, issue is to open diagonal portal at the corners. And it works like this in most situations. And even with diagonal portals, if worm has too low speed (like walking on other side) - sometimes its still goes throught the wall. In your case its opened LeftWall portal but as soon as its too low in the corner, point of teleportation became inside of wall, at right side. I had this few times while testing this map, but i forgot to limit workable areas far away from the corners. I just forgot about (: That would avoid this situations.
In future i`ll try to find the way to read the corner hit and avoid opening portal there through the script.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:18 am 

By the way, DarkLord, i`ve watched the entire game you were playing and i have to say that its absolutely clear that u`ve read the description i wrote and clearly understood it! And thats why, probably, u`re doing pretty well in operating the portal gun. Awful to see when people move crosshair all over the 180degree to aim up, then aim down. DAmn, just jump, press UP and shot! Then jump again, press DOWN and shot! and there we go - saved 15 secs and saved aim. As far you were moving further on map - as more often you used that fast-way technique. And its absolutely clear why - becouse you saving a lot of time! :D
I feel that very soon u`ll become on of the Portal Gun pro. And this will happen when u`ll also learn how to use CTRL switching between portal color.
Anyway i`m glad to see people who doing very well with this gun, and who also help others to understand how it works and how to use it! :D

For the other "confusing" parts on the map - its all made to let people think WIDER how to use portals and to find the best way to move on. Those areas when you can walk - just shows how long it can take compare to portal methods. That area that looks like a box with opened roof is made to learn down-shooting in mid-air. There is 2 ways to easely get the other side on top of that mini-box. And its not about the way you did it :D i was surprised not less than you, at that point :)

I have 5 min replay how this map should be played from start to finish with most common tips. But i didnt post it yet just to let people think at their own and find the best way.
But i`ll post that replay in a week or so, forsure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:47 am 

Thanks Pyro. It took me a bit of time to figure out all the controls and how things work, but after understanding, it is so much easier to just choose direction and shoot instead of reaiming every time. This was the second time I was playing that map, so I knew how to get by and was trying to teach others. Very nicely done with the script. Thank you for all your hard work.

Also, I have played Portal (the first game at least) so I know how the Portals work, physics-wise.
Speedy things goes in, speedy thing comes out. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:26 pm 

Founds only 2 problems usings this wonderfull libs.
1: Wings, Sheep on a Rope and similar miss their graphic (you can't see the "wingsworm" or sheep).
2: when close a round, the game crash all time (maybe for same reason).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:05 pm 

talon wrote:
Founds only 2 problems usings this wonderfull libs.
1: Wings, Sheep on a Rope and similar miss their graphic (you can't see the "wingsworm" or sheep).
2: when close a round, the game crash all time (maybe for same reason).

portal gun has nothing similar to this.
Both sheepo-on-a-rope and wigs overrides worm-fly spites. Any of my libs doesn`t change worm`s sprites that. Becouse only taht can couse a problems.
I`m sure problem cosuing some other libs that you use. Why do you think that its about Portal Gun??
To be sure about that - you have yo use only portal gun script and only sheep-on-a-rope libs included into scheme. Nothing else.

I will make detailed tests and answer what i`ve figured out about this. I`m pretty sure u just needed that tests and it has nothing similar with portal gun.
If i`m wrong - i`ll take my words back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:00 pm 

i`ve tryed many combinations: portal gun + wings + sheep on a rope + pyroman_sfx + tweakMoves (even!) but neither of those combinations cousing a problem that you talking about.
Every time i can see worm`s Wings, also Sheep on a Rope. they work just fine. and portal works with them also fine.

You just using some unknown libraries. disable all no need libs from your scheme or make a new scheme from scratch.
But its definately not about Portal Gun.

and dude.. for future, if you wanna figure out something - you need give detailed info about what libs you`re using, what scheme, what weaps chosen, at which moments problem occure.. Or simply post a replay! Otherwise its just a time-wasting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:53 pm 

Thanks for helping and try to resolve it!
I don't understand too, so after hours i simple reinstall Wormkit, create a new schemes and restart my things again.. Now seems all go!
Really don't know why did so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:06 pm 

after long time using this gun, i found some problems that still need to fix:

• Improve hit angle reading (sometimes it fails to open on pretty good terrain shape). And im already making improved, much better function to read hit angle without unexpected portal-opening fails.
  • Fix bug of "-1 bullet" from weapon table when portal didn`t work. Portal opening fail - no decreasing bullet`s count.
  • Add bullets teleportation support (i mean shotgun, uzi, etc kind of bullets)
also, there are some improvemnt that already done, but didnt release yet: Graves teleportation support.

All this updates hopefully will be available in new update.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 am 

^ in case you didn't know...

When shooting the portal mid-jump there is no -1 bullet loss for a failed portal. So for the time being (in Highlander) always jump before you shoot and you will be fine if you hit a weird spot. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next