Project X Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprite Builder (!!!) (R)EVOLUTION + Video Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hi everyone! I`m proudly presents my new library, that will leave huge libs in the past.
This is very usefull and very powerfull for weap-makers: against drawing into photoshop, frame by frame animations of picking weapon, aiming, rotating bullet anlge by angle.. u now simply need a png file of your weapon that contains only ONE frame. This graphic will be applied to the game and it will draw picking_p, picking_u, picking_d, aiming_p, aiming_u, aiming_d animations FOR YOU!
Also, you no longer need create rotation-based sprites of your bullets. This script can handle it! In WeaponEditor you can set the way how bullet should move (Cicle, Track Movement, Horizontal velocity etc) - script will read that parameters and will apply them to sprite that has ONLY ONE FRAME! still, if you have animated sprite - it will rotate the bullet according to type (cicle, track movent etc) + will run animation!

Even moar! Now even allowed to animate aiming sprites, which was impossible earlier. You can even set particle effects when aiming, which will add extra cool effect for your weapon.
Also, worm`s hand is also renders for you. You can set it ON or OFF, if u don`t need worm`s hand, using my templates for adjusting your weapon animations.

Creating animation bacame more cool, less heavy and more fun! No more boring photoshop sprite-making! Simply add your weapon picture into your weapon library, adjust the script (which will take 1 minute using my templates) and you ready to go!

EVEN MOAR! Ofcourse sprites renders one by one, layer on layer. And you can think that if you will use invisibility - Sprites can be visible, coz they are on other layers. That was my main problem, but i found solution! So basically NO, Sprites FULLY campatible with Invisibility! Even particles effects. When you use invisibility, noone can see you, but you still can see your worm and all animations, with 50% transparency, just as original invisibility mode. Even particle effect, applyed for your weapon animation, will be invisible for others!

Here is some tutorial i made how to make and animate your weapon FROM SCRATCH:

So in conlcusion, i will summ how much FileSize you can save with my library, how much you can improve appearence of your weapons and how much faster you can set your animations!!!
  1. previously to make weapon animation, you would need 7 sprites with around 32 frames each (at least):
    - picking_p, - picking_u, - picking_d, - aiming_p, - aiming_u, - aiming_d, - bullet_rotated.
    each sprite has 20-50Kb. In summ - its 140-250 Kb per weapon.
    NOW you will need only one file for 6-7 sprites of worm`s animations. To look as original sprites, it will need only 1 frame (except when u want improve your animations and add extra frames for effects).
    That means that you will need only 3-6 Kb per weapon!!!
    This is OVER 95% (!!!!!!!) less filesize than you HAD!
    Your icon file for weappanel will be even more heavy than file for all of your animations!!

This will FREE everyone from annoying awaitment in lobby untill everyone loads huge libs! Just imagine this! NO! BETTER TRY THIS!
  2. You can add some particles effect based on ANY sprite you want with TOTAL control of how it should work and how it should look. You can even animate weapons untill worm holds it in his hand when aiming.
  3. Earlier you could spend tens minutes or even hours of boring photoshop work, rotation your sprite each 5.625 angle degree, 64 times (weap makes will understand me) for each sprite. You would also need to adjust positions, good transitions, removing black background, etc... Now - YOU ARE FREE OF THAT WORK!
    Agains all that time spent in photoshop - you will spend just few minutes to adjust my script templates for you weapon!!! ITS AS EASY AS WAS NEVER BEFORE

here is an example of my Homing FireCluster with particle effects of sprite number 126 (fire flame):
in top-left corner is shown used sprite for this animation. It has transparency (but shown on black bg) and has only one frame. This sprite is using when worm shooted (as bullet), aswell.

I totally remade all of the animations for my PyroWeaps1 and i found that weapons can be setted to several types, which will have to use similar scripting parameters:
  1. Center-holded weapons. Its like Bazooka, when worm holds some tube into middle of himself with an arm holding it.
    So here is scripting parameters for CWormAnimParams for such kind of sprite Image:
    Params->hand_rotation = 0.5;
    Params->hand_radius = 4.0;
    Params->hand_radial_rotation = 0.0;
    Params->hand_type = 3;
    Params->hand_scale = 0.8;

as u can see we dont even need adjust aiming positions. Notice, that if some of parameters u didnt wrote - they using default values. In this case aiming default values will work best.
  2. Side-holded weapons. It`s like Grenade and all that similar to it, that need to be rotated all over the aiming on a some distance out of worm.
    So here is scripting parameters for CWormAnimParams for such kind of sprite Image:
    Params->hand_radius = 16.0;
    Params->weap_rotation = 0.5;
    Params->weap_radius = 9.0;
    Params->hand_type = 1; // lower hand

Here is also just a few parameters should be changed to work perfect. Its basically hand_radius - distance from worm for hand. and weap_radius - distance from worm for weapon. also weapon should be rotated 90 degree (0.5 rotation) becouse weapon sprite already rotates with Aiming. As long as sprite file holds bullet vertically, we need rotate it into horizontal position.
  3. Fixed weapons. It`s like a dynamite, mine etc. When no matter what kind of aiming angle u have - sprite angle should be fixed. I`ve made special parameters that allows not only fix some angles, but also slightly adjust them. Actually this library has a lot of parameters. I made it with MAXIMUM control.

Params->hand_radius = 13.0; ................................// hand`s radius from worm
    Params->hand_rotation = -0.6; .............................// hand rotation apparently
    Params->hand_radial_rotation = -0.95; ...................// radial rotation means rotation based on distance from the worm`s center
    Params->weap_radial_rotation = 1.0; .....................// same, but for weapon
    Params->weap_rotation = 0.45; ............................// independent weap rotation, based on center point of the sprite itself
    Params->weap_radius = 8.5; ................................// how far from worm shoud be this sprite
    Params->hand_type = 2; .....................................// normal hand type (3 = upper hand, 1 = lower hand)
    Params->dont_rotate_with_angle = true; .................// actually this allows to fix angle
    Params->ang_if_static = -0.1; ..............................// necessary addition angles when dont_rotate_with_angle enabled.
    Params->hand_ang_if_static = 0.4; .......................// same for hand.

So apparently this type of weapons is mostly need to be adjusted, but as long as you have this templates - i`m sure it will be pretty fast, just slight adjustments depends on your sprite size. As long as they all not differs very much - this should be rly quick.
  4. Some custom adjusted sprites. U have total control under your sprites, simply type into script (next to last Params line) this: "Params->" and as long as you type last sign ">" you will see list of all available parameters that you can change for your sprites. They don`t need to be explained, i think. They pretty clear to be understood by their names :)

And the last thing u need to set before using your weapon, is weapon settings in weapon editor. You need load default animations for EACH weapon that will use SpriteBuilder. For aiming/pick u need place default files, and for bullet - set to 0 (well anyway it will be applied to 0). Pictures below should help you:

Image Image
for clearness: names into custom animations:
  • def_shot_aim_p.png
  • def_shot_aim_u.png
  • def_shot_aim_d.png
  • default_pick_p.png
  • default_pick_u.png
  • default_pick_d.png

If u had trouble with animating your weapons, i`m highly recommend open my PyroWeaps_1.3 (or higher) in library editor and look how those weaps animated. Then you will clearly understand everything, i believe.

So all necessary libraries u can download from here:
p_spritebuilder.pxl
p_sprite_builder_graphics.pxl
p_sprite_builder_setting_animations_script.txt
p_utils.pxl

Attachments:
File comment: link no longer available
sprite_builder_pyro.rar [242 Bytes]
Downloaded 1843 times

Last edited by PyroMan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Sprite Builder (!!!) (R)EVOLUTION
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 pm 

so you can change all the movements of worms or just weapons?
I remember an idea about making a shirt the color of your team for each worm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 pm 

Atr0x wrote:
so you can change all the movements of worms or just weapons?
I remember an idea about making a shirt the color of your team for each worm.

For now - only for weapons.
But im already working (worked since start of creation this lib) under ability to make custom "dress", hats etc. Its 80% done. It will be also as simple as making weaps - based on 1 frame (or animated of course) png graphics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

Hahaaaaaaaa YESS!
This is huge. This and possibility to give worm apparel will change WA!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 pm 

this is incredible man!

so would this work on your 100gb FX lib too?? ;p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm 

stRiNgkiNg wrote:
this is incredible man!

so would this work on your 100gb FX lib too?? ;p

xD
unfortunately :)))) i would love to make it smaller. But px wants only 32 bit png from me, they cant be optimized. Animations.. maybe some of them can be remade with script, but still not that effective as with Aiming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm 

I can record a video from screen about adjusting stuff here and making weapon from scratch. Anyone interested?
If yes, i will do it. I can.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:36 pm 

Hey Pyro.....great idea!....Looks like I got sum work to do.....My Lib is almost 10 mb!......what about the sprites that change colors during cycle?....is that supported?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 am 

Curtis wrote:
Hey Pyro.....great idea!....Looks like I got sum work to do.....My Lib is almost 10 mb!......what about the sprites that change colors during cycle?....is that supported?

yep, u can set any color any time. Even fully transparent.
But to set color which based on some angle - it need scripting. I can make that functions for you, if u need them. Pretty easy to do. Then i can show how to use them.

Color transitions will be extremely smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 am 

oh wait. If u talking about BULLETS, then u can use just few frames with colors (lets say u have 4 frames with different colors on it).
Script can load your animation (with any speed that u can set) + will also rotate the sprites according to Rotation type (cicle, velocity etc)