Project X Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New guy questions and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 pm 

Hi! I'm a new guy! yada yada yada... Right! Introduction's over. Now to business.

So, I've been messing around in this great little tool trying to make new weapons all day. I spent quite a few hours looking at all the tutorials that I could find but I still struggle and I'm forced to come here and ask for help.

First and foremost I'm unable to search for Tutorials in this forum because the word "tutorials" is too common apparently and it won't allow me to search. I did some digging here but didn't really find any newbie guide around.

Some of the questions I have include the various "unknown" tweaks I'm finding in the Pxscheme editor and I have no idea what they do.
Also when switching "activation type", I'd like some clarification in what "not used:", "herding:" and "subtype:" numbers do for "Crosshair", "throw" and "airstrike" respectively.

I've also been trying to make a variation of the Bazooka that fired 3 projectiles in an arc simultaneously like the pic below shows. I've tried making the bazooka explode harmlessly in 1mSec and use 3 clusters but they never follow the trajectory of the bazooka. Is this type of weapon in any way feasible?

Edit: Also those numbers and "?????" in Flags options what do they mean?

Post subject: Re: New guy questions and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 am 

Greetings Domanting.....
I'll try my best to describe the myriad of options present in the scheme editor....

Activation By:
Crosshair = Bazooka/Mortars/Nades.....etc
Throw = Dynamite/Mad Cows/Old Womans....etc
Airstrike = Airstrikes
Space Bar = Utilities

The Subtype affects various things depending on the number, for instance....switching the subtype of bazooka to "10" (which is what longbow is set to) will make the bazooka only aim 45 degrees...like longbow. It's more important with guns as the subtype also controls what animation is displayed when firing (assuming yor not using your own custom animations). It comes in handy when creating custom guns as you can mix and match the sounds which is pretty cool. It's a setting that aloows you to "hybridize" your weps and really the only way to get a sense of it is to test it out.

Herding is used for weps like Mad Cows...."1" is default value for setting the ability to throw "x" amount of "cows".

The "Unknown" fields in the "Bouncing" tab are something I never really figured out 100%....I'm pretty sure it affects bouncing force when the wep is set to explode on anything it collides with like a pinball exploding on every suface it hits....again it's hard to say...I remember having to tweak it for magic slammer so it's something along these lines but again I could be very much wrong.

The "Unknown" field in the "Explosion" Tab has something to do with weather a wep explodes after using up all its pre-defined bounces.....I think.....this one stumped me...the editor auto-assigns this field with a 1 if you tweak certain bounce settings so it's related to boucning in some way if your wep has "x" amount of bounces set to it before it explodes.

The unknown field in the "Roaming" Tab controls a roaming wep's (cow/sheep)...ability to walk up steep slopes before jumping.....the higher the value the more likely the wep is to traverse up steeper inclines without jumping....I'm pretty sure I have this correct but I might be a tad away from it's true purpose...

The "???" box in the "Explosion" and "Bouncing" Tab controls weather a sprite is displayed when a wep collides with anything...check this in the bouncing section for "grenade" and toss one and you will immediatly see its function...It's a cool effect.

"Explosion Bias" is a very handy setting for shifting the explosion upwards or downwards on the x plane....a higher value will displace the explosion downward.....This page gives a nice idea of how traditional WA uses this feature...
http://worms2d.info/Explosion_Bias

Having the bazooka perform a "spreadshot" is impossible without scripting the game which is something I never really became proficient with.....Pyroman did design a bazooka that shoots twice in rapid succession but having it explode into clusters and then having the clusters also follow the original trajectory of the bazooka is also impossible without scripting...you could make the clusters "homing" and it would be somewhat of what you were trying to accomplish but ya.....I could create the bazooka that shoots 3 times for you but it would be one after the other and not like Super Contra by any means.

I hope this info helps.....I guarantee the more you fiddle around with things the better you'll grasp whats goin on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 am 

I appreciate your time spent on the reply, m8.

That really helped me out. I'll fiddle with it further and see if I can make any decent weapons.
I already made 1 that didn't require scripting. I just need to change the sprites and it'll be good to go.

Yeah, scripting isn't my strong point either. I've been checking Pyroman's weapons and tutorials he posted on Youtube, though. He's a god damn genius but scripting is still tricky business for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm 

Np Dude....it's nice to see a newcomer to the mod....If building weps is your ambition than I would strongly recommend you familiarize yourself with Pyro's Sprite Builder....If you can pull off one wep using it than your golden as you can use the same script as a template for all weps to come...It's very awesome....I remember when Pyro was first starting to learn the scripting language and he picked it up oddly fast....very intelligent.....good luck dude....if you have any other questions you should post here :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:36 am 

Cheers, m8.

I'll need to get hang of this and it might take me a while :mrgreen: