Project X Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rethinking the Helicopter mechanics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 pm 

I think it's about time we rethought our vision of the Helicopter mechanics.
The biggest issue of the Helicopter is that once its fuel ends, you get damaged and potentially lose your turn. This is due to a decision made quite early in Helicopter's development process that was not given enough thought.
The new proposed mechanic, instead, would be as follows: the fuel ends, then your worm jumps out of the helicopter (or just falls down) with a parachute, and the helicopter itself slowly crashes into terrain, causing a small blast. The helicopter's falling trajectory would depend on the inertia accumulated during the last seconds of the active time. This, in my opinion, would bring more variety and more potential strategic moves to the game, thus increasing the depth of the gameplay.
What are your thoughts on this. :)

Post subject: Re: Rethinking the Helicopter mechanics
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 pm 

I like where your going with the "eject" from helicopter and send it crashing into the terrain. I think it would be cool and make sense if the remaining fuel in the helicopter at the moment of "ejecting" was used for the explosion damage; that way....the more you fly the less dmg you can effectively do with it making it less overkill.

Other Idea: when fuel is spent....chassis (body) of helicopter is detached from rotary blades and plummets to landscape while the worm grabs onto the still spinning blades and "floats" down to safety (pseudo parachute) making exiting from helicopter guaranteed even without parachutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 pm 

sounded like a good idea, here is my go at it (attached).
features are: auto-parachute .. more fuel equals bigger explosion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm 

Damn Resurrection...that turned out pretty damn spot on according to that idea...awesome job...
I noticed the heli lacked a back rotar blade so I decided to put one in...also had to redo the jump in animation as the the new rotar blade would just appear and it looked silly. Increased the amount of frames for heli_anim and heli_anim_empty to 6 so if you wanna check them out you'll have to change that in the script for both PNG's...I agree with you still wanting to put in particle effects as smoke billowing out of the empty chopper would be a nice touch...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:29 am 

Daymn indeed, you had a better animation? Nice.
btw, check these particles out! are they OK? ;)
fixed so when you crash you wont become a jetpak, instead you explode.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 pm 

Nice smoke particle effects...that's exactly what it needed.....ejecting feels alot better now to...I can't think of anything else it might benefit from.....it's pretty solid.....ya dun good...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 pm 

In version V0.3; If you hold CTRL-key the helicopter will land gently on ground where it can stay forever or explode.
Also it will explode on contact with water.
I would like to see this in HL so i renamed it to 's_helicopter_sound.pxl'. It will replace the old one.

Version V0.4 fixed invisible drum collision mask and positioning so its always where helicopter body is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:56 pm 

Hi, it's missing the actual s_helicopter_2017.pxl when you try to use it. Any chance of attaching the actual lib for this please. Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:46 pm 

I made it so it lands safely by default and if you hold CTRL it will crash with explosion.
I suppose the scheme this should be used with is oh_so_highlander_2.3, other highlander might be working too.
changed the scheme so it loads correct library, attached below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:41 am 

I'm gonna do a little report based on this version, because why not?
-When you release the Helicopter on Safe Mode on the water, it'll just go straight out of borders.
-If you shoot it while is falling on Safe Mode, it'll be like nothing (this doesn't need to be fixed, I'm just mentioning it :P).
-When it explodes on the Explosive Mode, it does a great explosion; but when you shoot it after releasing it on Safe Mode, it also releases Fire (this is more of a suggestion than an error, to make the explosive mode releasing Fire also).
-Sometimes when you put the Helicopter ALMOST touching the ground above you, it'll appear up instead of falling down (kinda difficult to explain).
-When you let the fuel just run out, a Jet Pack will appear instead of a Parachute.
-When the Heli falls down on Safe Mode, it makes a little Barrel sound (just a little detail, just mentioning like the other one :geek: )
I think that's it. Great job with this masterpiece! I'm looking forward for version 1.0! :D